Foreman to automatically select VM host for guest
|Assigned to:||-||% Done:||
It would be very interesting if Foreman is able to automatically select the (for example) vmware host on which the new machine will be provisionned.
This will :
- Avoid user to select host where the machine should be (users shouldn't have the knowledge on the infrastructure behind foreman)
- Avoid admin manual intervention to indicate where machine should be provisioned... It's a waste of time
Conditions may be :
- Pre-defined number of machines per host
- RAM left on physical host
- CPU usage on physical host
- Disk space usage on physical host
In a full machine provision automation process, we should expect foreman to be able to know where to deploy the new guest...
Hope this will be accepted.
Updated by Corey Osman over 1 year ago
Unless used for testing machines I think this is a tricky problem to solve. One might have enough space leftover on a datastore, but you will also need to consider the following things:
1. RAM takes up storage as well
2. How many IOPS will the new VM use. Will this new VM greatly degrade performance on the other VMs running off the datastore?
3. Snapshots take up space too so that needs to be planned for.
VMware solves this problem by letting the user make the final decision.
Updated by NoName NoSurname over 1 year ago
In my case, letting users decide where the machine should be is not suitable.
My goal is to provide a server when a final user click "buy it!" :)
Meaning that a normal user will never have any clue about the infrastructure running behind.
I must find a solution to automatically tell foreman where to install the machine.
I'm working to an ISP. And most machines are standard and don't consume much IOPs as datawarehouse machine will do... What you're saying is absolutely right but doesn't really concern my environement.
And I never use snapshot...
Is that doable with foreman ?