Prevent host discovery for existing MAC/IP addresses
|Assigned To:||Lukas Zapletal|
|Target version:||Plugin 8.0.1|
|Velocity based estimate||-|
Ran into a situation where someone deleted the pxe/macfile from tftpserver. This allowed server to use default pxe file that says to boot into discovery image. When discovery image boots, it should check if ip/mac already exists in host table, and if so, don't add into discovered_hosts table. When this occurs and I remove the entry from discovered_hosts, the existing host entry loses its FACTs information.
#2 Updated by Lukas Zapletal 6 months ago
- Subject changed from Prevent host booting into discovery from registration if server already exists in host table. to Prevent host discovery for existing MAC/IP addresses
- Category set to Discovery plugin
- Priority changed from Normal to Low
Well this is quite special case when someone delete file on TFTP server. If this gets ever implemented, this must be an opt-in setting (each MAC and IP). Only provisioning NICs must be matched as well.
#4 Updated by Lukas Zapletal 3 months ago
Experienced this today, when existing (managed) host does exist and it boots into Discovery mode, existing host is "converted" into discovered host, facts are deleted. But what's more important, the host is in error state and cannot be deleted (workaround is via rake console). I will make a patch to prevent to discover an existing server.
- Status changed from Ready For Testing to Closed
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
Applied in changeset foreman_discovery|210f143bc85c58caeb67e8bf9a5cc2edbe764683.