Puppet 4 support
|Found in release:|
|Velocity based estimate||-|
Tracks steps for Foreman to work with Puppet 4 based Puppet masters, e.g. smart proxy updates, installer/kafo support.
#24 Updated by Dominic Cleal almost 2 years ago
Summary of the outstanding tasks that I know about, split by project.
- #13667 - support in the smart proxy to load lists of classes and parameters from the Puppet Server API, instead of needing to load the Puppet library.
- blocked by #14618 - refactoring of smart proxy plugin configuration
Kafo - the library behind foreman-installer¶
- #14447 - add a serialised cache to avoid needing to load Puppet parsers
- #14448 - kafo_parsers needs soft dependencies on Puppet
- #14450 - kafo parameter validations shouldn't require Puppet
- #14452 - run Puppet from AIO filesystem paths
- #14568 - parameters with undef default values cause installer failures
- #14659 - puppet help strings errors printed
- #7848 - support puppet-strings (low priority, the cache alleviates the immediate need)
- #7858 - replace Puppet::Plugin (low priority, only progress bar support)
- #14941 - RUBYLIB set incorrectly on Debian AIO installations
- #15105 - progress bar support
- #14453 - generate serialised cache during build
- after #14447 in kafo
- blocked by #14472 - fix kafo-export-params in Debian packages
- blocked by #14473 - fix UTF-8 reading of manifests on Ruby 1.9.3+
- blocked by #14729 - loading parser cache fails, should be obsoleted by #14450 when done
- partially blocked by #14475 - config file migrations, needed to add parser_cache on existing installations
- #14455 - add foreman_smartproxy provider and dependencies for AIO environment
- #14449 - hostname check shouldn't use Facter library (medium priority, harmless error)
puppet-puppet/#372- support for Puppet Server 2 auth configs, required for smart proxy PR
- #14454 - change Puppet package dependencies
- #14942 - ordering of puppet group/foreman user setup under AIO
puppet-foreman_proxy/#251- update config files to match changes in #13667
foreman-bats/#96- configure PC1 repos foreman-bats/#97- configure nightly PC1 repos foreman-bats/#98- increase RAM for Puppet Server foreman-bats/#101- fix expired GPG key for nightly repos foreman-bats/#104- update testing modulepath for AIO layout foreman-bats/#106- update ntp module for Puppet 4 compatibility
- http://ci.theforeman.org/view/Status/job/systest_foreman_puppet_os/ - default OS packages
- http://ci.theforeman.org/view/Status/job/systest_foreman_puppet_stable/ - Puppet 3.x non-PC1 packages
- http://ci.theforeman.org/view/Status/job/systest_foreman_puppet_pc1/ - release PC1 packages
- http://ci.theforeman.org/view/Status/job/systest_foreman_puppet_nightly/ - nightly PC1 packages
#26 Updated by Dominic Cleal almost 2 years ago
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/domcleal/foreman-puppet-aio/ has some completely unsupported test RPMs with the kafo patches under review. These let foreman-installer run with a Puppet 4 AIO agent. (Please don't use this! Nightly packages are nearly there now.)
Ensure rubygem-kafo, rubygem-kafo_parsers and foreman-installer are up to date from that repo when testing, and puppet-agent is installed. Ignore the Facter/fqdn check error on startup (#14449)
and the smart proxy registration failure (#14455, or pass . Smart proxy Puppet support remains missing, so class imports etc won't work. There are probably a bunch of other issues, please dive in and fix them.
#29 Updated by Dominic Cleal almost 2 years ago
Nightly packages now have support for installation using AIO versions of Puppet 4, with the exception of Ubuntu 16.04 (no puppetserver available until 2.4.0 is out soon).
The PC1 repo must be configured before installing foreman-installer, which will then install puppet-agent and puppetserver (note, this requires >= 3GB RAM). Smart proxy support isn't available yet.
#32 Updated by Dominic Cleal almost 2 years ago
- Status changed from New to Closed
- Release set to 1.12.0
Nightly packages now contain both installer and smart proxy support, which will become Foreman 1.12. Please help by testing nightly packages and release candidates when available.
If you come across a bug, please file a new report for it instead of logging it here.
#33 Updated by Dominic Cleal almost 2 years ago
Upgrading_from_Puppet_3_to_4 contains documentation on performing an upgrade of Puppet 3 to 4 on the same server, updating all of the config files etc.
(At the time of writing I've only lightly tested this on nightlies on EL7, so please edit and improve it, fix mistakes etc!)