Need a method of specifying associated org when registering a smart proxy
Cloned from https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1326465
Description of problem:
When I install a capsule, I should have a way to specify what org this capsule should be associated with upon install. Currently it is a manual step and it is not at all intuitive since it remains pigeonholed away in the no org context, after installation.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Follow all the normal steps to install a capsule:
- Register host to satellite; register to org "Default Organization"
- generate capsule cert on satellite
- install capsule rpms on target host
- follow steps listed upon generating capsule cert to install capsule on target host.
2. In Satellite UI, set/assume context to be Default Organization
3. navigate to Infrastructure > Capsules
4. Look for your capsule
5. set context to "Any Context"
6. REPEAT STEPS 3-4.
After successful creation of capsule, it is not intuitive as to where that capsule is, and at a minimum, a second step is required to set the org after installing capsule.
There should be a way to determine associated org at install time, just like when registering the box.
I am unsure whether assuming we want to use the registered org as a default is a correct assumption, but it's an example. We shouldn't have to install the capsule and subsequently then go and assign an org.
When a capsule is not associated with any org, it sort of falls into a "black hole" and is not immediately seen. So user actually has to do multiple steps to assign the org:
1. install capsule
2. change context to find newly installed capsule
3. associate capsule with org.
Some might argue this is an RFE. I would argue that it it's a critical shortcoming in how we're installing a capsule.
#1 Updated by Stephen Benjamin over 3 years ago
- Project changed from Foreman to Installer
- Subject changed from Need a method of specifying associated org when installing a capsule to Need a method of specifying associated org when registeringa smart proxy
- Category changed from Smart Proxy to Foreman modules
#4 Updated by Dominic Cleal almost 3 years ago
https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-foreman/pull/448 and https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-foreman_proxy/pull/253 have been closed due to inactivity.