Email configuration should use sendmail by default and not 'smtp.example.com'
Cloned from https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1292747
Description of problem:
As a user I would like to have the default email configuration (specified in /etc/foreman/email.yml) to be changes to 'localhost' from 'smtp.example.com'
The reasoning for this is the following:
- Almost every server system has a local MTA (even if all that MTA does is relay mail to another).
- If I mail-enable a user accidentally without specifying an MTA, many of my tasks that send email (repository sync or content view promotion) end in a 'warning' state due to not being able to connect to 'smtp.example.com'
- Having the email sent to my local MTA allows the MTA the ability to retry delivery, queue the message and various other mail delivery tasks that MTA are good at.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
fixes #15704 - use sendmail for email.yaml
Using sendmail instead of the smtp.example.com as a default gives
mail a chance of "just working" on a unix system. This example
file is copied to email.yaml in packaging, so with the current
settings, email always does not work as smtp.example.com does
#2 Updated by Stephen Benjamin almost 5 years ago
- Project changed from Katello to Foreman
- Subject changed from Satellite's email configuration should use 'localhost' by default and not 'smtp.example.com' to Email configuration should use sendmail by default and not 'smtp.example.com'
- Category set to E-Mail