As a katello administrator, I should be able to manage the configuration of my katello through my katello
Cloned from https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1127886
Satellite is installed via an installation script that wraps and applies a series of puppet modules. The state of the installation is then stored in an answers file. If a user wishes to change a configuration value they must re-run the installer from the command line and specify the option that they wish to change.
A Satellite administrator should be able to manage the Satellite itself the same way that any other host's configuration is managed. In other words, as an administrator I should be able to import (or have imported for me) the puppet modules that configured my server initially. Further, the state of the server (i.e. the values in the answer files) should be present as the currently set values. This would allow me to make changes and apply configuration updates to the server via the UI/API as if I managing any other host.
Note: The above scenario, of importing the installation modules, works and is strategy employed in upstream Foreman today. There is no importing of the answers file, or automated way of having this setup for the user, however.
- Ensure (and update where needed) all installation puppet modules are properly written to be used from a Puppetmaster
- This should mostly be the modules Katello adds on top of the base Foreman set
- Add ability to import answers file
- Design strategy for importing puppet modules from installer into Satellite at installation (initially could be manual or button push by administrator)
- Define to what degree a Satellite should be able to manage itself once installed (configuration, content, updates, etc.)
The above strategy might be considered for deploying Capsules and general use when deploying other applications via Satellite workflows that use a Kafo based installation.
#1 Updated by Stephen Benjamin almost 3 years ago
- Project changed from Foreman to Katello
- Subject changed from As a Satellite administrator, I should be able to manage the configuration of my Satellite through my Satellite. to As a katello administrator, I should be able to manage the configuration of my katello through my katello
- Category set to Installer