[RFE] Capsules shouldn't update hosts' "Registered through" facts on the Satellite server in a load-balanced configuration.
1. Proposed title of this feature request
Capsules shouldn't update hosts' "Registered through" facts on the Satellite server in a load-balanced configuration.
2. What is the nature and description of the request?
The customer would like to prevent the capsules from sending hosts' "Registered through" facts to the Satellite server when they're set up in a load-balanced configuration.
3. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
From the customer: The vast majority of our hosts are registered through a load balancer. We've had some issues with the audits table growing too quickly, along with other host-initiated tasks happening too frequently. Looking through the audits list, I see that hosts are updating their "Registered through" every day when our day cronjob runs. If this is happening on each of the 68k hosts everyday, that is a lot of extra work that doesn't need to be done by the Satellite.
4. HHow would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
Hosts connecting to Satellite through load-balanced capsules should report their "registered_through" value as the load-balancer VIP (as determined by the "hostname" setting in rhsm.conf on the host" rather than the actual FQDN of the capsule itself.
5. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
Monitor the audits table for flapping "registered through" entries
6. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
7. Does the customer have any specific time-line dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
8. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
9. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?