Clone a hostgroup
We are trying foreman to deploy our sites.
One site consists of 3 servers and we have to define the same variables (around 20) for all groups.
An interesting feature would be to have a "group template" or a inheriting variables names defined in the environment section. That way, we would not forget to create a variable inside a new group.
#2 Updated by Benjamin Papillon almost 9 years ago
I'll try to clarify what I'd like with my poor english ;)
Here, we manage ~50 groups of 3 hosts (1 firewall, 2 proxies). The nodes are installed by default with the same master and same IP settings.
We want to move the 2 proxies to puppet and foreman as a node classifer.
The process we found to install the servers is the following :
- create a new group
- create variables for this group (ipaddress_relay1, ipaddress_relay2, domain, ipaddress_gateway, MS domain parameters for proxy auth...)
- create the new servers
- affect classes to nodes and group
- on the puppetmaster, use puppetmasterd to compile catalog using the "install" environment
- on the nodes, apply the catalog and then, move the nodes to the "production" environment at next reboot. (It's better to reboot since we are changing ip and hostname settings)
- manage day to day nodes with foreman :)
The problem using this procedure is the second step. It's really easy to forget the creation of one variable or to misspell one.
The feature I'd like is pre-populate the list of variables to enter for a group. It can be done depending the environment or a "group template" where you can store default classes and variables for new groups.