Drop Ruby 1.8 support in hammer
As outlined in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/foreman-dev/A5Xf1lrTjDw it's difficult to maintain Ruby 1.8 compatibility on newer systems.
For getting hammer packaged on Debian/jessie without big pain, at least:
- fastercsv and rb-readline need to be dropped as dependencies (that's for now a noop code wise, AFAIK)
- locale is in the OS repositories with version 2.1.0 (memoization was removed, not sure about the consequences, but seems fairly minor to me)
- gettext (needed for the i18n extraction/generation rake task) is at 3.1.2
#1 Updated by Anonymous over 8 years ago
- Blocks Tracker #8977: Foreman packages for Debian/jessie added
#2 Updated by Anonymous over 8 years ago
- Blocked by Feature #8979: Package hammer with ruby193 scl added
#3 Updated by Anonymous over 8 years ago
- Related to Bug #8874: gettext 3.1.13+ causes locale tx-update errors due to .edit.po files added
#4 Updated by Dominic Cleal over 8 years ago
- Blocked by Feature #8996: Package hammer against Ruby 1.9 added
#5 Updated by Anonymous about 8 years ago
FYI, for Debian/jessie rb-readline and fastercsv are just built and delivered for now to satisfy the dependency in the gemspec. That works.
#6 Updated by Anonymous about 8 years ago
- Blocks deleted (Tracker #8977: Foreman packages for Debian/jessie)
#7 Updated by Anonymous about 8 years ago
- Related to Tracker #8977: Foreman packages for Debian/jessie added
#8 Updated by Karim Boumedhel almost 8 years ago
has there been any progress on this issue?
#9 Updated by Anonymous almost 8 years ago
Somebody should review/test https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-packaging/pull/497
#10 Updated by Dominic Cleal almost 8 years ago
- Blocks Refactor #11280: Revert Ruby 1.8 specifics added
#11 Updated by Dominic Cleal almost 8 years ago
All packages are migrated to newer Ruby versions, so Hammer can now drop 1.8 support whenever. I'd suggest just removing 1.8 from the test matrices in Jenkins and closing this tracker. I filed a ticket to make tidyups.
#12 Updated by Dominic Cleal almost 8 years ago
- Status changed from New to Closed
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
- Legacy Backlogs Release (now unused) set to 63
1.8.7 has been removed from Jenkins tests.