Bug #9571


Reports intermittently not showing up

Added by Jason Hane almost 9 years ago. Updated over 7 years ago.

Puppet Reports
Target version:
Fixed in Releases:
Found in Releases:


We started with Foreman 1.6.3 (now on 1.7.2) and ever since then, we've had issues where reports are intermittently available. Sometimes we can get the reports to show up if we refresh enough times. Once the report shows up once it's more likely to remain available between refreshes. We have a single Foreman server with a Galera MariaDB cluster on the backend.

I have a screen shot that shows the problem but I can't figure out how to attach it. Everything on the page renders except for the text in the resource and message columns.


9571_display_debug_chocolatey 9571_display_debug_chocolatey 12 KB Fabien Combernous, 01/29/2016 10:53 AM
Actions #1

Updated by Jason Hane almost 9 years ago

I found out how to put Foreman in debug mode. Here is an example of a report that doesn't render.

Started GET "/reports/4050501" for at 2015-02-26 20:25:54 +0000
Processing by ReportsController#show as HTML
  Parameters: {"id"=>"4050501"}
  User Load (0.5ms)  SELECT `users`.* FROM `users` WHERE `users`.`id` = 7 LIMIT 1
Setting current user thread-local variable to hanej
   (0.5ms)  SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `taxonomies` WHERE `taxonomies`.`type` IN ('Location')
Setting current location thread-local variable to none
  AuthSource Load (0.4ms)  SELECT `auth_sources`.* FROM `auth_sources` WHERE `auth_sources`.`id` = 5 LIMIT 1
   (0.3ms)  SELECT id FROM `taxonomies` WHERE `taxonomies`.`type` IN ('Location') LIMIT 1
  Report Load (0.4ms)  SELECT `reports`.* FROM `reports` WHERE `reports`.`id` = 4050501 LIMIT 1
  Log Load (0.4ms)  SELECT `logs`.* FROM `logs` WHERE `logs`.`report_id` IN (4050501)
  Message Load (0.3ms)  SELECT `messages`.* FROM `messages` WHERE `messages`.`id` IN (9, 11, 2553445, 2553093, 577, 609437, 2551977, 2537781, 2537785, 2537613, 454917)
  Source Load (0.3ms)  SELECT `sources`.* FROM `sources` WHERE `sources`.`id` IN (3, 28505, 147433, 147429, 147349)
  Host::Managed Load (0.4ms)  SELECT `hosts`.* FROM `hosts` WHERE `hosts`.`type` IN ('Host::Managed') AND `hosts`.`id` = 29 LIMIT 1
  Rendered reports/_output.html.erb (0.6ms)
  Rendered reports/_metrics.html.erb (2.2ms)
  Rendered reports/show.html.erb within layouts/application (11.0ms)
  Rendered home/_user_dropdown.html.erb (1.2ms)
Read fragment views/tabs_and_title_records-7 (0.1ms)
  Rendered home/_topbar.html.erb (1.8ms)
  Rendered layouts/base.html.erb (2.8ms)
Completed 200 OK in 25ms (Views: 14.1ms | ActiveRecord: 3.4ms)

Running the SQL statements by hand returns the appropriate rows.

Actions #2

Updated by Jason Hane almost 9 years ago

We have a MySQL proxy running between Foreman and our MySQL cluster. I think that may be the cause of the issues. I see the queries being executed on the database but I am not seeing the data returned. I'm going to investigate a little more before I close the ticket.

Actions #3

Updated by Fabien Combernous almost 8 years ago

We started by using 1.6.1, we are now using 1.7.2 also.

We meet an issue that looks the same. Some times in few reports, not in all, some lines are missings.

Some details :
We we are the page of all reports about the node named <name_of_puppetnode> : https://&lt;name_of_formanserver&gt;/hosts/&lt;name_of_puppetnode&gt;/reports. In this page, we get the good events counts for each cathegories of events. But when we enter in the details of the report , somes lines are missing in the displayed report.

I checked, the information is realy missing in database. So, the issue is not a display issue but about commit of part of the information in the database.

Actions #4

Updated by Fabien Combernous almost 8 years ago

The bug looks in the peace of code that parse the puppet report to make the import in the database

Actions #5

Updated by Fabien Combernous almost 8 years ago

The attached document is a part of a puppet repport. The parsing issue is in this part.

Actions #6

Updated by Jason Hane over 7 years ago

We solved our issue by getting rid of the MySQL Proxy. Apparently that was causing the data to not show up in the database.

Actions #7

Updated by Dominic Cleal over 7 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Resolved

Also available in: Atom PDF