katello installer does not allow for upgrading puppet
Currently, an existing Katello installation with Puppet 3 requires stepping through manual steps to upgrade to Puppet 4.
Ideally, this would be done via foreman-installer, possibly via new hooks.
Fixes #16053: hooks for puppet 4 upgrade
This enables a `--upgrade-puppet` flag that will upgrade a Katello
installation from Puppet 3 to Puppet 4.
This is a squash commit that does not have full authorship info,
Stephen Benjamin authored significant portions of this patch.
Refs #16053: docs for puppet 3 to puppet 4 upgrade
- [X] general overview of what happens (basically the expected "before" and "after" states)
- [X] rough ETA of how long the process takes, and if it scales out with number of hosts or anything like that (I am pretty sure it's constant-ish time but need to confirm)
- [X] links to info about rewriting modules to support puppet 4
- [X] document [flag day](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_day_(computing)) style upgrade, where Katello and all capsules are upgraded in a single outage window.
- [X] document gradual cutover upgrade, where users spin up a new puppet 4 capsule, move systems over, then decommission puppet 3 capsule at a later date.
- [X] docment special considerations for self-registered Katello installations
- [X] confirm and document that puppet 3 and 4 can't coexist on the same katello server
- [X] links to more info
#5 Updated by Chris Duryee about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Ready For Testing to Closed
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
Applied in changeset katello-installer|8db5561d884b46d0dd81f88a3666f0b1cf3130df.