New Host: selection of "Host Group" and "Deploy on" is user-unfriendly
Cloned from https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1108252
Description of problem:
The contents of "Host Group" affects the contents of the two drop downs ("Environment", "Content View")that exist below the "Deploy on" field. As such, these three fields should be grouped together. A side effect of this, however, is that if user selects a group and then quickly selects a provisioning type ("Deploy on"), the UI gets refreshed after group/environment/content view are populated, and the user's selection is reset.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Assure you have at least one host group created and at least one provisioning type other than baremetal created (i.e., libvirt)
2. Hosts > New Host
3. begin populating fields; choose a group from your Host Groups list and then quickly select a provisioning type in "Deploy on".
4. Wait for UI to refresh with contents for Environment, Content View; observe results.
Once the appropriate values are auto-filled -- i.e., the page has been refreshed -- the user's deploy method selection has been reset.
Something a little more user-friendly. Reversing the location of these two fields solves two issues:
- It appropriately positions the "Host Group" field with the two accompanying fields that rely on its input
- It makes it much less likely that user's selection for "Deploy on" gets reset.
Current workaround is to select "deploy on" method first, or simply wait for UI to completely refresh after selecting Host Group.
#1 Updated by Dominic Cleal over 5 years ago
- Category set to Host creation
The fields are laid out this way deliberately, as this is a performance enhancement and it'll be much slower if swapped back (#3218 has background).
I would suggest "Deploy on" is either disabled temporarily while host group is reloading, or we're careful to keep the user's deploy on selection when the form is reloaded.